A Year of Achievements at CERD
A Year of Achievements at CERD
February 1, 2016:
By the end of the first year of being officially in charge of CERD, the president of CERD, Dr. Oweijane, has presented a brief summary of the tasks and projects that were completed. She also shed light on the projects that were introduced to CERD’s schedule of work and activities. Dr. Oweijane intended to make this summary available to the public and decision makers in education nationwide, as well as partners in the educational process in the public and the private sectors, faculties of education, educational inspection, universities and sponsoring bodies as well as those who are mostly interested and deeply involved in education updating: students and parents.
It is a year of up grading the human and administrative staff and activating communication with all whether inside or outside. Dr. Oweijane’s first year at CERD started and ended with continuous work and production. This work is going on and getting broader, larger as well as more extensive and productive.
This work covers many elements, most of which are the following.
The Workshop of Curricula Development:
- Implementing the decision of the Educational Conference “Learning for All” and in accordance with the project opting for digital, interactive Lebanese curricula, CERD has already completed preparatory workshops
- CERD is also revising the Philosophy and Citizenship Curricula in collaboration with “ADYAN” Institution.
- CERD has also launched the schoolbag books, Teacher’s Guide cards and activities for KG3 in 3 languages. Arabic, French and English.
- In collaboration with UNICEF, CERD has launched the “Accelerated Learning Program” (ALP) by designing special curricula and books written specially for Syrian refugee students
- Regarding curricula and books, it is important to note that the National Textbook prices have been reduced by 30 to 36%
Researches and Studies:
- CERD has prepared a number of field researches to improve performance in Education in accordance with (R4R) (Research for Results).
- In collaboration with SKILD and UK the British council, CERD has issued “Students at Risk for Learning Difficulties”, a booklet about learning difficulties in public schools
- In addition, CERD has completed the study of Children Safety on the internet
- CERD has completed a survey study about “Using Digital Tools in Teaching (TICE) in teaching
- CERD has also completed the comprehensive school statistics and is going to develop surveys according to the needs in education
- CERD has also participated in official examinations by printing exam cards, e-mailing final results to all public and private schools, as well as printing the official students’ certificates
Participation in Global and Local Evaluation Systems:
- CERD participated in founding the National Evaluation System (DNE) to assess the level of students’ proficiency in the French certificates
- CERD also participated in the National Study (TIMSS), that covered 273 official and private schools all over Lebanon
- CERD participated, for the first time in Lebanon, in the national study “PISA”, through testing students in 410 private and official schools
Enhancing Continuous Training:
- CERD is re-evaluating the On-going, in-service training procedures for more effectiveness and for determining and monitoring clear procedures to detect the needs of teachers
- Training on the integrated management of solid wastes
- Training on road safety education
- Signed with Reseau Canopé and the French Cultural Institute the project of “DEMARCHE QUALIT É
- Established a lab for sciences within the ESPACE EUREKA Project for teaching of sciences interactively.
- “Profle” project for distance training aiming for professional development of teachers of French as a foreign language is currently taking place
- In line with the Francophone initiative (IFADEM), 4 booklets for training teachers at primary level distance learning have been issued. These booklets have been transformed into digital.
- In collaboration with USAID, workshops about the following topics have been recently launched: Provision of social and psychological support to teachers
- Using ICT in learning, in collaboration with the American University in Beirut (AUB)
- Improving the reading level through a writing project
- Teaching the English language (TOFEL / CELTA)
In collaboration with the British Council, a number of workshops were conducted regarding:
- Employability Skills: Skills necessary for the workplace that should be developed and introduced into the curricula.
- Teaching Divided Histories (TDH): An innovative and scientific way of teaching History through projects.
- Shakespeare Lives in 2016: a school worldwide competition celebrating Shakespeare’s legacy through teaching Shakespeare’s plays.
- Connecting Classrooms: A global project for cultural interaction among students around the world.
- Merging the (scientific) content in Mathematics and Science in teaching languages to facilitate learning (CLIL)
In line with the cooperation with the Italian Embassy, CERD has participated in the 15th celebration of the Italian day, which was attended by the Ambassador of Italy in Lebanon and many other institutions and associations.
CERD is a member in some associations and public and private committees, such as:
- The National Foundation for Employment
- The Civil Aviation Center
- The National Network for Training
- Parliament Issues Committee
- A Committee for Assessing School Directors’ Proficiency
- Professional Development Committee
- Supervision Committee for Kindergarten Programs
CERD Internal Policies:
- 15% raise on the wages of the staff working by contract
- Improving the wages of day- laborers
- Developing the staff potentials in scientific research
- Purchasing accounting system
- Purchasing equipment
- Activating all departments and offices in CERD
Now, Dr. Nada Oweijane supported by the Minister of Education and Higher Education is going to:
- Regularize the conditions of the contractual staff in terms of work status and fair payment
- Transform day-laborers to contract owners
- Help CERD employees benefit from the retirement system
- Increase the percentage of benefits scholarships for day laborers
- Make adjustments on the institutional structure of CERD for more effectiveness
- Develop CERD staff capabilities in all fields
- Activate all departments and offices at CERD
- Develop administrative and educational IT at CERD
CERD is looking forward for future projects and plans whose more important are:
- The project of school orientation
- The project of the school map
- The plan of fairness regarding procedural subjects
- An agreement of cooperation, coordination and exchange of experiences with universities specially the Faculty of Education at the Lebanese University